Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Christmas Traditions

It's time to breath in all that is Christmas. By far my favorite time of the year. I just LOVE the FEELING that Christmas brings. Warm toasty fires, the smell of a fresh pine tree, all the yummy holiday candle scents, the twinkling lights, Christmas movies and music....and seeing the JOY that it brings to my little boy's eyes. I hope to teach him that THIS is the true meaning of Christmas - the feeling of giving and of happiness -  that it is the time of year to be thankful for all that is around you. To hold those around us who are special to us extra tight and spend some much needed, relaxing down time with our loved ones.

I know the reason why Christmas is so special to my heart is because I grew up knowing it's true meaning. My Mom and Dad never failed to make the Holidays extra, extra, extra special for my siblings and I. We held tight to tradition and counted on looking forward to those little happenings that made the Holidays what we knew them as. Whether it was opening up a present on Christmas eve (pajamas), looking for the green pickle in the tree (unbeatable record over here), listening to Trans Siberian Orchestra until our minds were ingrained with the music until the following June (someone please hide it) or stuffing ourselves full with crab for Christmas Eve dinner, I knew what the Holidays would be like every year - a perfect mix of chaos, laughter, happy emotions and a complete sense of fullness in our souls.

This is why I can't wait to share the Holidays with my little family now. I want to make the Holidays special for them for years to come. Even though Jake says he hates putting up Christmas lights (I think he really secretly loves it), this is completely necessary to fulfill the Christmas spirit. There are traditions to create, memories to form and lots and lots of family time to be spent.

Conner helping Daddy put the star on the tree
Conner's last two Christmas' were a blast. Last year, he really had the concept of opening presents down. But THIS year, he comprehends the stories, the magic, the CONCEPT of all that is Christmas.

This year, we started out with an incredibly amazing ride on the Polar Express. For those who haven't read the book or watched the movie - you just need to....right now...GO! It has such a wonderful message. The Ghost Train in Ely, NV recreates this story - leading kids onto the train (ALL ABOARD!) to head to the North Pole, where Santa awaits to greet them.

On-board the train is hot chocolate and cookies, Christmas carols and a reading of the story. They are all handed a little bell from Santa. You will only be able to hear the sweet sound of the bell if you still BELIEVE. I heard every single bell that was handed out so, I'll tell you what, I certainly still believe. All four bells that made it back to our house when we got back from the North Pole, I still really hear them as well.










If you haven't heard about Elf on the Shelf, you've been living in a cave. One day, I am going to invent a simple yet ingenious product like this.

Here's the short story: Elf lives with Santa at the North Pole (duh) and he is your very own personal Elf. He will arrive every morning before you wake up in some creative, mischievous scenario. Elf is here to watch you to see if you're being good or bad. He then flies back to the North Pole for the night to report his observations to Santa. Genius.

Yesterday, there was a knock at the door. When we opened up the door, a present was just sitting outside. I guess that Santa came through town in order to drop Conner's elf off. (....Are you serious, Clark?!). :)

Conner wanted to name him Elf and also Christmas...very original. I thought Lloyd Christmas was cute but we are still deciding on a name. Maybe when Conner gets older he will want to name him something else. :)

Day 1: Elf/Christmas/Lloyd showed up with a little bit of morning fishing in the sink in Conner's bathroom. I'm not sure how the bite was this morning......



I can't wait to post what situation our Elf is in every day until Christmas Eve when he will go back to the North Pole until December 1st of next year. I am very excited about starting this adorable Christmas tradition with my baby boy!





No comments:

Post a Comment